ECMA’s Muay Thai Kickboxing program is the striking art we teach our students. Thailand’s national sport and one of the fundamental disciplines of Mixed Martial Arts (MMA), Muay Thai Kickboxing or “Thai Boxing” is widely considered the most effect striking art ever developed.
Based on the “8 Point System,” Thai Boxing uses fists, elbows, knees and kicks to deliver overwhelming striking firepower to an opponent or attacker. The Thai people have perfected these techniques in the ring over hundreds of years. Simple movements based on the natural mechanics of the body enable practitioners to deliver powerful effective strikes to an attacker. Muay Thai techniques are not designed to score points, they are designed to stop your opponent.
ECMA’s Muay Thai Class Format goes like this:
- Brief stretching or warm up
- Shadow boxing, practicing techniques & movements without hitting people or objects
- Instruction, demonstration, and then drilling of 2-3 techniques on the heavy bag, Thai Pads or focus mits
- Accuracy drills or calisthenics
Students are not required to spar but are required to hold pads for other students when it is their turn to hold or “feed” pads.
Things you’ll need for this class:
- Athletic or Thai Shorts
- T-Shirt or Rashguard
- Gloves: 18 or 16 oz boxing gloves or MMA gloves
- Hand Wraps (optional)